- Can’t believe that I’m a fool again… (yeah, you can sing along with this one)
- When it rains, it pours… it floods.
- Lightning does strike twice... or many times...
- When life is hard… it can be harder… Horrayy!
- Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
- Life you are so unfair!! I wanna sue you!!!
But on the lighter note, there are the most soothing balms that i have found after punching my alarm clock at 5:30 a.m. and realizing i’ve no work to report to…
• You can do your grocery anytime. So you need not to worry at 5:30 a.m. that you ran out of shampoo, toothpaste, pantyliners or whatever it is that you can not live without. Assuming you still have grocery allowance.
• If you are lucky and your boyfriend is available, you can always have lunch or dinner together and you can save money by doing this. Just force him to pay for the meal.. You can order more for take home if you are that desperate... but that is a little over the top... Har! Har!
• You can also save by doing your own laundry, ironing, manicure and pedicure!
• You can take pleasure in listening to the rain while you are curled up with a good book and a cup of hot chocolate.
• No one will stop you from watching the reruns of the 80s series, NBA, all versions of CSIs or whatever is your favorite TV show for your other siblings might be at work or school (that is if you are still living with them) while you are a bum at home. You can also have all the Orlando Bloom or Korean films you have missed. Pirated DVDs sellers in Quiapo and Shaw MRT stations offer great bargains though.
• You can have all the time with your friends/former officemates to belt your version of “I Will Survive”, "Luha" and "Halik" at videoke bars without having to worry about getting late the next day! You can pick the off-peak hours of some videoke bars on the mall that are offering great deals with free meals.
• You’ll find a lot of good friends to keep you sane. You can even go on a competition on who has the longest list of worries after being laid off.
• You can check your mails and friendster account without worrying if someone is watching behind your back and getting you on the list of employees to be fired out for checking mails (because your sweet little bun was already kicked out).
• Having some good tales to share about cost cutting. Like when dining out, you can already ask for three glasses of water before going home so you need not to buy extra bottle of water for yourself. Just do it in style and exert some effort to pretend that you love drinking water.
• You can get creative in thinking about any other careers to pursue to pay the rent other than writing. Like competing your neighborhood videoke bar that doesn't let you sleep at night by offering great promos such as free voice or business phonetics lessons to the customers. You can also open up a sizzling house with free foot spa or hot oil while the customers are waiting for their food. The list goes on. Just let your imagination run wild.
• And if the weather is really cold and you do not want to take a bath, no one will force you because YOU DON’T HAVE A WORK. Since everything comes with a price tag and VAT here in the Philippines, you can save more by not taking a bath and staying at home! But please don't do this very often for this is very unhygienic.
originally posted: July 14, 2006